4 Comments

1. pmartinez48

Great insight into the military that few care to read about. In your paper you state, “While incredibly out of tune, the student sang enthusiastically, and eventually the entire class chimed in and ‘somehow the mud seemed a little warmer, the wind a little tamer, and the dawn not so far away.” This is something that we can use in our everyday life. Sometimes when we are driving my 20 month old gets upset in the backseat. I have found that singing songs helps her calm down, sometimes we will also just count to 10 over and over. It is often boring to me, but more often than not she calms down! Or at least stops screaming for the time being. In your paper you also state, “In exit interviews with those leaving the Benfold, Abrashoff discovered that poor retention rates were a result of not being treated with respect of dignity, being prevented from making an impact on the organization, not being listened to, not being rewarded with more responsibility, and low pay.” This is a true statement for any career and is something that leaders always need to take into consideration. Employees must feel wanted and valued. I am wondering why some leaders don’t take these things into consideration. Is it that they are simply unaware, or do they really not care? Definitely something to ponder.

2. afragoso

This is a really good insight of what the miltary goes through. But knowing how the mental strength goes a long way, is important. Also understanding that leaders are key into keeping up the moral of it all. For example the one who started singing when it became difficult gave that light of hope that they could finish.

3. cclewett

Your paper gives valuable insight into the power of the mind: setting and tracking goals, positive self-talk, mental imagery, and heart-rate control were all shown to have a positive impact on performance. When I think of implementing this in a school setting, I immediately picture students learning new ways to build confidence and strengthen self-control at the same time. Demonstrating a positive mindset that embraces a challenge without “throwing in the towel” is a powerful example to all kinds of students…from the strugglers to the gifted. They all need training and modeling of life skills that have positive effects on school, as well as life beyond graduation. I know that many of my students are experiencing adversity as they progress through the school year, but I don’t always feel adequate to counsel them. Your paper reminds me to change my own mindset before requiring that of my students. They need to see to believe sometimes, so it’s my job to help them clearly see the connections between genuine mental training and increased growth/success along the way. Thank you for the reminder!

4. cboggess2

Maria!

What a interesting read moral and military performance. It was very refreshing for you to break out of your shell and write about a topic that is all a new experience for you. I found of great relations through your paper and how I can relate it back to myself in being a basketball coach.

In the beginning of your paper General Lejeune described moral as, “three fold- physical, mental or professional, and spiritual” (P2). This is true in athletics as well. There are so many factors that go into keeping moral up especially during a prolonged season. There as to be a “readiness” that keeps spirits up. It was great to read how the military instills this in our troops.

Another note that I found interesting was “light and strong” (P4). Keep a positive mindset is crucial when boosting up moral. A favorite quote of mine, “When the going get tough, the tough keeps going.” This allows me to realize that no matter what obstacle is in the way you have to keep trucking through. Knowing that these men and women face so many challenges like home sickness, and putting yourself first in the line of battle shows that their are positive effects in keeping moral up!