5 Comments

1. sfernandez

As education and world has become a diversified environment, it is important as educators to understand individuals from different backgrounds. Further, as a teacher or educator we should have the courage and respect for students of different cultures. You asserts some important points on teaching in a diverse environment.

2. acortez21

Diversity is seen in the classroom in many ways; diverse learning styles and diverse cultures and beliefs. It is important that educators recognize these differences and accommodate to meet the needs of all learners. Creating an environment that promotes diversity helps students understand that everyone is unique in their own way. Their differences do not define them but should be respected and valued.

3. jclifford

You raised an interesting question in your paper, ‘How does a teacher handle the belief of a student that conflicts with the education they’re receiving.’

I really liked this questions and it made me think about how i would handle that in my situation. Of course i have my own beliefs, but i really think as educators it is very important that we keep our own beliefs out of it when we’re educating kids. We need to let them make their own mind up and formulate their own opinions. I don’t think it is appropriate for teachers to tell them their own beliefs unless the student is specifically asking one on one, and even then I feel like its a risky situation.

4. ephillips8

Diversity is an important but sometimes difficult thing, I like how you brought up holidays because its never a clear choice as an educator what you should and shouldn’t celebrate based off of the diversity of your students. If a teacher has love for a specific holiday OR if they have strong religious beliefs they might not be able to openly express that in their classroom simply out of respect for the students and their possibly differing views. I like how you brought up the fact that teachers have the potential to impact not only the students but also their families lives, no two students are exactly the same and come from the exact same home situation. As an educator it is extremely important to be able to recognize these thing and adhere to the specific needs of the children who might need more attention.

5. ovanhook

I think diversity should be handled with respect. Regardless of your economic status, race, religious beliefs, or sexual orientation, we have to treat everyone with respect. I think when talking about different beliefs, communication is important. Too many times we don’t want to hear other peoples opinions. Take the time to listen and to have a civil conversation. Not everyone is going to think the same as you.