3 Comments

1. ataramona

Ciaira, I found that you had a lot of solid information and personalization within your paper. The following are some excerpts and quotes that I agree with:

– “Having a vision, contributes to a set foundation for the team and the program. It enables the participants to know where they stand at the beginning of the year, and know what is to come in the future.” Pg. 4
    I think that all leaders should have a common vision with the group of people that they are working with. This allows for all persons involved to have a common purpose with their work. Personally, I think that the mission and the vision should not merely be created by the coaches, but the entire team; by allowing players to contribute, it will facilitate a greater amount of ‘buy-in’ and the players will know that their opinion is heard and valued

– “… growth doesn’t only mean in the sport, or in the game, but growth in general as a person. We want our players to grow in all aspects of life, not just the game so why not emphasize the importance of teamwork?” p.10
    I think that this is another concept that is important for all leaders, especially leaders that are working with young adults. All areas of life are connected and in order for success to be had in one area, we need to nourish all aspects of a person’s life.

– “Success doesn’t happen overnight, but it is important to acknowledge the little victories along the way.” P. 13
    This is such a paramount concept for any human being. We need too acknowledge the wins just as much, if not more, as we acknowledge the points of growth. If we can redefine ‘failure’ for the team, then the culture will become more positive and willing to take risks.

2. jclifford

Ciaira,

I really liked your paper. I thought it was well thought out and had a lot of good points to back up your findings.

I really liked this point ‘Creating a relationship with athletes on the team, builds a trusting bond, making it essential when striving to bring a team to believe in your system. ‘

I believe you’re talking about the buy in culture that all coaches want to achieve. If we can get everyone on the same page and regardless of the wins and losses the players believe they are part of something that is worth being a part of. Good job !

3. cboggess2

Ciaira,

Knowing that we each did our own representations of teamwork, I wanted to understand some of the common traits and differences in our papers. I really enjoyed the quote you had on page one that states, ” Teamwork is prevalent at present, especially in the work place. This shows that teamwork very effective and beneficial for a business to grow” (P1). This initial quote you started off really hit home with my paper. It shows the importance of teamwork and that there is a use for it outside of athletics .

Another part of the paper that I could relate to was communication and trust is key. As stated, it is important to keep that open line of communication. I have always been a big proponent of communication. Whether you are communicating on the court over defensive position, or letting your coach know that you are sick and wont make practice, it is important to always be open. I always like to tell my players, “Communication eliminates mistakes.” We both have this mindset, because ultimately it allows trust with our players as well.

One area that I did not mention was your conceptual understanding over vision. “When becoming a coach, you want to have a vision for your team and for the season. Visions should not only revolve around the number of the wins and loses column; but, expectations on how your program will execute the producers to develop the team, while successfully, accomplishing goals, and setting growth at the end of the year” (P4). This is important in any team concept because it allows for, how you mentioned, growth and a clear goal.

I really enjoyed reading your paper and seemed like a lot of thought went in to understanding all aspects of teamwork and success.