5 Comments

1. aalkhanany

Carrie,
    The three strategies you chose to increase student achievement in science are very useful for me where I can implement it to raise my students’ achievement in physics. The inquiry-based learning strategy is important because it helps students to learn by discovery, which facilitates understanding and linking experiences. The second strategy is lesson plans aligned to standards which is important because it provides the teacher with time and effort by focuses on setting the objective and vocabulary depending on the standards. The professional development which is the third strategy so important but I hope we can coordinate frequent meetings throughout the year so that we can express our concerns and exchange views and experiences. Unfortunately, my school does not focus on professional development, although it is very important, especially for novices teachers like me.

2. mlopez100

Carrie, the challenge faced by our districts, schools, and ultimately our teachers is time. I agree with you that the responsibility does not just fall on the one grade level team to prepare students for testing, but rather all grade levels below must also understand how important their role is in the foundational learning of the students. Having that collaborative approach in working on lesson plans and inquiry based learning plays a huge impact in meeting the goals for growth. I know that you are an excellent teacher and wish you all the best with your students.

3. sfernandez

Implementing your strategies and forming a science PLC with the existing Student Learning Action Team along with the integration of inquiry-based learning, lesson plans aligned to standards, and professional development will hopefully increase your STAAR science percentage to 92%. Also, creating a science word wall for students is an easy way for students to learn science vocabulary words and become familiar with the vocabulary words for each unit. As for teachers, they need ongoing professional development and training. From the beginning of the school year in August to the end of the school year in June your science PLC will work towards achieving and will hopefully be successful in achieving your 2019-2020 science goals. I wish you the best on your science PLC.

4. jphillips17

Carrie,
    I have a very good friend right now that is struggling with 5th grade science achievement. The gap that can be developed over the course of 5 years from K-4th can really handicap a 5th grade teacher. I have personally seen teachers in lower grade levels bypass teaching the science curriculum all together to focus on their grade tested subjects. This is such a missed opportunity not only for the teacher but also hinder the students achieve in the future.
    I love the idea of the vertical teams and setting the agreed upon standards as long as the grade level members follow the expectations set by the vertical team member. Great job to identify a serious problem and develop a solution.

5. mwillis2

Carrie,
    You hit a sore spot with me this year. For some reason (I actually know the reason) our science department is forced to plan a 5E lesson plan to be concluded in 3-4 days… and it can’t be done. You pointed out that the 5E lesson plan starts with inquiry on the part of the student followed by the elucidation of concepts and skills development. Recently, we have planned only the engage and explore phases with woefully inadequate explanation. Its not right. And your research concurs. I like the way your PLC timeline is at first guided by overarching, general principals like reviewing the mission or choosing the power standards. Only later do the details like common assessments. This is an insight I had previously not noticed.