Context Clues

Name: Keisha Swarner

Lesson Plan – Long Form

Subject: Reading           Grade Level: 1st Grade                                                Topic: Context Clues

Objective(s):

• TEKS:

(3) Developing and sustaining foundational language skills: listening, speaking, reading, writing, and thinking –vocabulary. The student uses newly acquired vocabulary expressively. The student is expected to:

(B) use illustrations and texts the student is able to read or hear to learn or clarify word meanings.

• SWBAT:

Use text or pictures to identify the meaning of a word. SWBAT1

Define the words context, clues, meaning, definition, synonyms, and antonyms.

SWBAT2

• ELPS:
  1. Cross-Curricular Second Language Acquisition/Listening:

The ELL listens to a variety of speakers including teachers, peers, and electronic media to gain an increasing level of comprehension of newly acquired language in all content areas. ELLs may be at the beginning, intermediate, advanced, or advanced high stage of English language acquisition in listening. In order for the ELL to meet grade-level learning expectations across the foundation and enrichment curriculum, all instruction delivered in English must be linguistically accommodated (communicated, sequenced, and scaffolded) commensurate with the student’s level of English language proficiency. The student is expected to:

(E) Use visual, contextual, and linguistic support to enhance and confirm understanding of increasingly complex and elaborated spoken language.

(4) Cross-Curricular Second Language Acquisition/Reading:

The ELL reads a variety of texts for a variety of purposes with an increasing level of comprehension in all content areas. ELLs may be at the beginning, intermediate, advanced or advanced high stage of English language acquisition in reading. In order for the ELL to meet grade-level learning expectations across the foundation and enrichment curriculum, all instruction delivered in English must be linguistically accommodated (communicated, sequenced, and scaffolded) commensurate with the student’s level of English language proficiency. For Kindergarten and Grade 1, certain of these student expectations apply to text read aloud for students not yet at the stage of decoding written text. The student is expected to:

(C) develop basic sight vocabulary, derive meaning of environmental print, and comprehend English vocabulary and language structures used routinely in written classroom materials.

Language Demand Language Support
Function

Student will be able to use text and pictures to identify the meaning of a word.

I will be reading the book Stellaluna to my student, he will be choosing the words and determining what the word means using his context. I will be assisting him with determining the context that will be used to define the word.

The student will be reading sentences and filling in the blank with the meaning of the words.

Student will be using task cards to determine which answer is the correct definition of the word that is underlined in the sentence.

Vocabulary

Student will be able to define the words’ context, clues, meaning, definition, synonyms, and antonyms.

I will be showing the student an anchor chart that will give the student the meanings of these words.
Discourse or Syntax

Student will be able to read text to drive the meaning of words. The student will be able to write their own context clues to demonstrate their understanding of the concept.

Introduction

• Entry/Daily Review/Anticipatory Set:

I will start my lesson by asking my tutee what he remembers from our lesson on vowel digraphs. I will ask him to give me three examples of words using vowel digraphs. I will then show the student the anchor chart again, just to anchor the concept of vowel digraphs.

I will then let my tutee know that we are going to start working on activities that will help him with vocabulary and driving the meanings of words using the text from a book. This is called context clues.

• Lesson Rationale:

I will explain to my tutee that it is important for him to learn about context clues because when he is reading he may come across a word that he does not know the meaning of the word. By using his context clues he will be able to get the meaning of the word from the the text around the word or the pictures around the word.

Body

• Input/Presentation/Modeling: 

I will start my lesson by showing an anchor on context clues. I will go over all the different tips that he can use to get the meaning of a word while he is reading. I will also be providing him with examples of each. Once I have gone over context clues, I will ask my tutee what context clues are and what are two ways that he can get the meaning of a word using context clues. SWBAT2

• Guided practice/Monitoring and Adjusting/Checking Understanding: 

My tutee and I are going to read the book Stellaluna. I will be doing most of the reading, while we are reading the book we are going to look for words that my tutee does not know the meaning of. We will write the word on a chart, we will then write down the clues from the text, we will then make a decision on what we think that word is about. SWBAT1

• Independent Practice/Opportunities for Practice:

I will then have my tutee do a worksheet that has sentences on them in the sentence there is an underlined word. After he reads the sentence he will determine what the underlined word means using his context clues. SWBAT1

• Modifications for Learners with Exceptionalities:

I could provide visuals for my students so they can drive the meaning of words using visuals. I could also have the students be in groups or pairs where they can have someone reading the sentences to them. I could also have my students draw pictures of what they think the word means. I could also have my gifted and talented students make up their own context clue sentences that we can use as examples in our classroom.

Conclusion

• Assessment of Learning: 

I will be giving my student ten sentences and he will have to put the word that goes with the word that is in bold. I will be reading the sentences to my tutee but he will be writing down his responses.

Rubric:

Outstanding (10) Proficient (5) Needs Improvement (0)
Context Clue Meanings Student will be able to identify all 10 of the words that belong with the bolded word. Student will be able to identify 5 of the words that belong with the bolded word. Student was not able to identify any of the words that belong with the bolded word.

• Extension:

If we have enough time we will be playing a context clues card game. There will be twenty cards. Each card has a sentence that they will be reading to find the meaning of the word. They will then select the word that they believe is the meaning of the word.

This will allow my tutee to put everything that he learned about context clues into a fun game. SWBAT1

• Closure:

I will ask my tutee to tell me what context clues are. I will give him some examples of context clues that we went over during our lesson.

Materials Needed:

Anchor Charts

Book Stellaluna by Janell Cannon

Context Clues Worksheet 

Pencil

Context clue task cards

Assessment worksheets

Sources:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stellaluna

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Context-Clue-Task-Cards-1921799

https://www.education.com/worksheet/article/context-clues-finding-word-meanings/

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Context-Clue-1st-Grade-2825449