3 Comments

1. bballesteros

Blake,

Reading your paper, I like how you want to see the effects of the lack of athletics on academic performance. So far, during this past school year, I didn’t even think of the impact of pandemic on college athletics. I was only focused on my high school students and their ability/inability to play competitively. Hearing yours and Olivia’s presentations made me realize how much of society has been affected by the pandemic. The things we take for granted, have been taken away from us in some form or another.
    I appreciate how your discussion acknowledges that you are anticipating different types of results, such as “competition hinders academics” or “competition keeps athletes on track (so to speak).” Regardless of your results, your proposal could potentially help athletic programs understand their relationship with academia.

2. jcruz28

Blake, I love this topic as it currently relates to myself and my fellow teammates. It’s been different, to say the least, both in academics and athletics this year. Personally, I think competition keeps me on track as I procrastinate less and must meet my deadlines. Without competition this semester, I found myself not as motivated in both aspects. I do think, as you mentioned in your paper, that the different divisions play an impact on how detrimental athletics can be on academics. I am very curious to see the end results of this research and better yet, the results from different divisions to compare to St. Mary’s.

3. ovanhook

Blake, as a current college coach, your proposal was very interesting to me. Just like in sports, being motivated in academics is just as important. Being a division iii university, majority of our students prioritize their academics first just like you said in your paper varying from different divisions.
    I would like to also see if playing time/winning or losing plays a role in academics. Example, does a student athlete who has more playing time than other excel in the class room? Or does a student athlete who hasn’t had much playing time lack success in the class room? I think it would also be neat to see if playing time is a factor in their academic success.