Bossy E Rule

Name: Keisha Swarner

Lesson Plan – Long Form

Subject: Reading Grade Level: 1st Grade Topic: Bossy E

Objective(s):

• TEKS:

(B) demonstrate and apply phonetic knowledge by:

(iii) decoding words with closed syllables; open syllables; VCe syllables; vowel teams, including vowel digraphs and diphthongs; and r-controlled syllables;

(C) demonstrate and apply spelling knowledge by:

(i) spelling words with closed syllables, open syllables, VCe syllables, vowel teams, and r-controlled syllables.

• SWBAT:

Determine that the “e” at the end of a word produces a long vowel sound. SWBAT1

Decode words that end with an “e”. SWBAT2

Define the words vowel and sound. SWBAT3

• ELPS:

(2) Cross-curricular second language acquisition/listening:

(B) Recognize elements of the English sound system in newly acquired vocabulary such as long and short vowels, silent letters, and consonant clusters.

(3) Cross-Curricular second language acquisition/speaking:

1. Practice Producing sounds of newly acquired vocabulary such as long and short vowels, silent letters, and consonant clusters to pronounce English words in a manner that is increasingly comprehensible.  

Language Demand Language Support
Function

Student will be able to decode words that end with an “e.”

Student will be pulling a word out of a cup and then an e out of a cup. He will be reading both words.

Student will be selecting a word that follows the bossy e rule from a group of words.

Vocabulary

Student will know what the words vowel and sound mean and how they are used in reading and writing.

Student will be reading the words, and learning what sounds the vowels make with and without the e. He will also be writing words with the e at the end of it.

I will be showing an anchor chart that will be defining vowels and sound.

Discourse or Syntax

Student will be reading and writing words that have an “e” at the end and make the vowel a long vowel.

Introduction

• Entry/Daily Review/Anticipatory Set:

I will start off my lesson by going back over consonant digraphs. I will ask him if he remembers what consonant digraphs were. I will also ask him if he remembers any of the four digraphs that we went over. I will show him the anchor chart, just to make sure that he remembers what consonant digraphs are. 

I will let my tutee know that we will be working on vowel digraphs. We are going to be focusing on the bossy “e.” I will start by showing him a video. 

Video Link:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3oA4wfUBak

• Lesson Rationale:

I will let my tutee know that this rule is important for him to know because it is something he will use all of the time. This is a rule we use all of the time and it is going to help him become a better reader. This is a very important rule for him to know since he will use it all of the time, and that is why I am going to help him understand what happens when there is an “e” at the end of a word.

Body

• Input/Presentation/Modeling: 

I will have an anchor chart that I can go over the “Bossy E” too and give him examples of how the “Bossy E” changes words. SWBAT3

• Guided practice/Monitoring and Adjusting/Checking Understanding: 

Once my tutee and I have gone over how the “bossy e” works, I will have us work on the rule together. For this we are going to do the bossy e cup activity, this will ensure that he is engaged in the lesson and put into practice what he has learned.

I will have two cups. In the first cup there will be many words that can be changed to mean something different with the letter “e” added at the end. In the second cup, there will be the letter “e.”. As my tutee pulls out one card from each cup, he will have to determine what the word was that he pulled out from the first cup and what it changed into when the “e” was added at the end. SWBAT2

• Independent Practice/Opportunities for Practice:

I will have my tutee do two worksheets that will allow him to feel more confident in what the bossy “e” does to words. He will cut out the e’s and paste them at the end of the word. He will then write the word in the blank provided and I will have him tell me what the word says. SWBAT1

• Modifications for Learners with Exceptionalities:

I could have all of the words, have visuals so that the students can make that connection. I could have the students read in pairs and work in pairs or groups. I can also have the words in Spanish as well.

Conclusion

• Assessment of Learning: 

I will be giving my tutee an assessment dealing with the bossy “e.” He will read the three sets of words given, and circle the word that goes along with the bossy “e” rule. This will allow me to see if he really understood the concept. SWBAT2

Rubric:

Outstanding (5) Proficient (3) Needs Improvement (1)
Identifying bossy “e” Student was able to identify all 10 of the bossy “e”words out of the set of words. Student was able to identify 7 of the bossy “e”words out of the set of words. Student was able to identify only 3 of the bossy “e”words out of the set of words.

• Extension:

If there is enough time I am going to a roll-read and trace worksheet with my tutee. He will roll the dice, based on the number he reads, he will say the word, then trace the word. SWBAT2

If there is enough time, I will have one other bossy “e” game for us to play. The game is called Bossy “e” Balloon Burst Game. You draw a card, if you can say the word then you get to keep the card. If you cannot say the word the card goes back into the pile. If someone draws a burst card, then all of the cards go back into the bottom of the pile. SWBAT2

• Closure:

At the end of my lesson, I will restate the meaning of the bossy “e”, what it does and give some examples, and let my student know why it is important.

Materials Needed:

2 cups

Index cards

Bossy “e” worksheets

Anchor chart

Video

Dice

Roll-Read and Trace Worksheet

Pencil

Crayons

Bossy E Balloon Burst Game

Bossy E Assessment

Sources:

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Bossy-E-Roll-Read-Trace-Freebie-2420647

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/FREE-CVCE-Practice-Sheets-Bossy-e-Silent-e-Magic-e-CCSS-Aligned-1212719

Video Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3oA4wfUBak

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Miss-Rachaels-Silent-E-Balloon-Burst-Game-Bossy-E-Magic-E-705311

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Bossy-E-Assessment-3018684

Loader Loading...
EAD Logo Taking too long?

Reload Reload document
| Open Open in new tab

Download