Consonant Digraphs

Name: Keisha Swarner

Lesson Plan – Long Form

Subject: Reading Grade Level: 1st Grade Topic: Consonant Digraphs

Objective(s):

• TEKS:

(b) Knowledge and skills:

(B) demonstrate and apply phonetic knowledge by:

(ii) decoding words with initial and final consonant blends, digraphs, and trigraphs

(C) demonstrate and apply spelling knowledge by:

(ii) spelling words with initial and final consonant blends, digraphs, and trigraphs.

• SWBAT:

Recognize and pronounce consonant digraphs. SWBAT1

Use consonant digraphs to blend words. SWBAT2

Define the words digraphs and blend. SWBAT3

• ELPS

(2) Cross-curricular second language acquisition/Listening

(B) recognize elements of the English sound system in newly acquired vocabulary such as long and short vowels, silent letters and consonant clusters.

(3) Cross-curricular second language acquisition/Speaking 

(A) practice producing sounds of newly acquired vocabulary such as long and short vowels, silent letters and consonant clusters to pronounce English words in a manner that is increasingly comprehensible.

Language Demand Language Support
Function

Student will recognize and pronounce consonant digraphs.

Student will use consonant digraphs to blend words.

He will be sorting words under their consonant digraphs. 

He will be connecting two index cards together to make words and then blend them together to be able to say the word.

He will be sorting pictures under the digraph sounds.

Vocabulary

Student will define the words digraph and blend.

This will allow him to know what a digraph is and what blending means.

I will explain to him both terms and then show him how he used both during the activity.

Discourse or Syntax

Student will be saying and writing consonant digraphs and then blending them into whole words.

He will be doing a sort that gives him the whole word and then he will have to sort it according to its digraph.

He will be looking at pictures and then writing down their digraph and their word.

Introduction

• Entry/Daily Review/Anticipatory Set:

I will start my lesson by going over the consonants that we went over on our last tutoring session. I will ask him if he knows what consonants are and what consonants that we learned last time. I will show him the anchor chart dealing with consonants just to make sure that he has a good grasp on them.

Loader Loading...
EAD Logo Taking too long?

Reload Reload document
| Open Open in new tab

Download

I will then let him know that we are going to be working on consonant digraphs. I will explain to him that we will be working on the way words start. I will let him know that we will be working on “wh,” “ch,” “th,” and “sh”. I will explain to him that digraphs happen in the beginning, middle and end. While we are working on digraphs in the beginning of a word, he will see them in the middle and end. I will explain to him that they still make the same sound no matter where he sees them.

• Lesson Rationale:

I will tell my student that it is important to learn the consonant digraphs so he will be able to understand how to start the sounding of the words. I will also tell him that some letters sound somewhat similar, so we together will make sure he is able to understand the difference.

Body

• Input/Presentation/Modeling: 

I will show my student this digraph chart. The chart will be used so we can sound out each of the sounds together. Once I know he is comfortable with the digraphs on this chart I will move onto the next part of the lesson. SWABAT1

I created four consonant digraphs “wh”, “ch”, “sh”, “th”.  I will begin by laying these out onto the table. I will go over each sound with him. SWABT3

• Guided practice/Monitoring and Adjusting/Checking Understanding: 

I have created two pictures to go along with each digraph. I will have him match the pictures with the correct consonant digraphs. This will allow me to see what digraphs he already knows. SWBAT1

I am going to have us work on consonant digraphs together. I will have an index card that has all the digraphs on them. I will then have index cards with the rest of the word on them. We will work together to match the digraphs with their ending. I will then have him work on his blending by having him add the sounds together to make the words. I will do a couple challenging words to assist him with his blending and have him be challenged a little bit. I will ask him when we are all done to tell me the sounds of the four digraphs that we are learning. SWBAT2

• Independent Practice/Opportunities for Practice:

I will then have him do another sort on his own. He will be given a worksheet with four columns, he will have to read the word and then sort the word into the correct column. SWBAT1

• Modifications for Learners with Exceptionalities:

I would have pictures that went with all of my words, so that my students that need assistance can sort by pictures. I would also have the words in Spanish. I could also have them work in pairs so that they can assist each other.

Conclusion

• Assessment of Learning:

I will give my student four worksheets, they have four pictures and a word bank for him to choose from. He will be asked to say each word, then he will be asked to write the word that fits into the blank that goes along with the picture. This will allow me to see what he knows about the sounds after the lesson.

Rubric:

Outstanding (5) Proficient (3) Needs Improvement (1)
Beginning Digraph Sounds Student was able to identify all 11 beginning digraph sounds. Student was able to identify 8 of the beginning digraph sounds. Student was able to identify only 5 of the beginning digraph sounds.
Ending Digraph Sounds Student was able to identify all 5 ending digraph sounds. Student was able to identify 3 of the ending digraph sounds. Student was able to identify only 1 of the ending digraph sounds.

• Extension:

I will then have my student do an activity where he looks at a picture of an object, he will then on the corresponding page write what digraph the picture starts with. This will allow him to have one more connection to the digraphs that we are learning.

• Closure:

I will explain to him one last time what consonant digraphs are and why they are important. Then I will have him tell me one object and give me the digraph for it.

Materials Needed:

Consonant Anchor Chart

Consonant Digraph Anchor Chart

Pencil

Index Cards

Shamrock Word Sort

Glue 

Scissors

Consonant Digraph Worksheets

Under the sea pictures and worksheet

Sources:

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Consonant-Digraph-Sorting-Pictures-224267

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/51580358207295387/?lp=true

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/SHamrock-Sort-Consonant-Digraph-sort-FREEBIE-1157260

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Consonant-Digraphs-sh-th-wh-ph-ch-ng-429425

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Under-the-Sea-Extravaganza-Consonant-Digraphs-Freebie-1134158